Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Michelle Dumaresq

Just finished watching a documentary called

100% Woman

It's about a woman from my hometown, Vancouver B.C. named Michelle Dumaresq, who started mountain bike racing in the late 90's. That doesn't seem so strange, except for the fact that she used to be a man. It's a beautiful but heartbreaking story. The complete acceptance by her parents was moving and the jeers and protests from the racing community, from some of her own friends, was horrifying. IF medically she is female(hormone levels and all!) I don't see why she can't race as one. Some people say it dpesn't matter because she has to take hormones to keep those levels up. Hell, some women have to be on hormones to keep their levels proper whether they have transitioned or not! She toughed it out though! Wonderfully inspiring!
Go check out the website! Or watch it online somewhere or rent it...or buy it! GREAT and inspiring story!

100% Woman

and the other documentary she wa sin, which I haven't seen

Dirt Diva's

2 comments:

Randilin said...

Sounds like a lovely and heart breaking story. I'll have to check it out

The Morning Star said...

Yes it was wonderful! I just need to find myself a copy now and I will be happy!!