Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gluten Free Pita Bread

So here's my first attempt at a gluten free bread product. It's damn tasty but needs a few tweaks. I used vegetable oil because I didn't have any olive oil and it does taste a wee bit yeasty. I like it, but you can always bump the yeast down a bit. I used the gluten free flour recipe found here at Gluten Free Gobsmacked. These make 5 inch pita's. Next time I think I will try making them thicker and bigger. Nontheless they are really good and it makes me happy since I love my pita and hummus! When I try another recipe I will post it on here. For now enjoy this one! I also apologize for the picture, it's definitely not my best work. Next time around I'll get a better one.






Gluten Free Pita Bread

3 cups gluten free flour
3-4 teaspoons xantham gum
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 cup of warm water
pinch of sugar

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2.Combine yeast, warm water, and sugar in a bowl. Let bloom.(It will foam up)
3.Combine flour, xantham gum, and oil in stand up mixer. Mix well.
4. Add yeast/water mixture and mix until combined. You might need to add a bit of water to adjust the consistency.
3. Knead a few times on a wooden board or counter, covered with a bit of flour, until smooth.
4.Place into a lightly oiled, oven safe bowl, and cover with a damp cloth.
5.Place into oven and turn the oven off.
6.Let rise for 30 minutes and then remove from oven.
7.Turn oven up to 500 degrees. Place two sheet pan sinto oven to heat along with the oven.
8.Take ping pong size balls of dough and roll out into small circles about 1/8 of an inch thick.
9.Let rise for 15 minutes.
10.Place onto hot cookie sheets and bake 2 minutes per side.
11. You can brush with oil or ghee and cover with a towel until all are finished or just let cool on a board or rack if you want crispier pita's.

Makes about 15 small pita's


No comments: